Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Put On Your War Paint

Today's post is all about makeup! Now admittedly, I haven't been wearing makeup for very long. Yep. I'm 27 years old and I only really began wearing makeup about 3 years ago maybe. In high school I would wear the occasional eye liner and eye shadow. And of course for Prom I would get all dolled up. But normally I didn't wear much because I had no clue what I was doing lol. I'm still no expert(contouring???) but I've found what works for me. I don't know if you would call it "pin up makeup" per se but I do utilize some classic techniques. I do get many compliments on my makeup, mostly about how nice my skin looks. That means sooo much to me because I actually don't have the best skin. I have acne scars mostly along my chin and on my cheeks. I typically only break out when it's that time of the month but it's all along my chin and even when I don't touch them they still leave little dark marks sometimes. To be told that I have "nice skin" means I'm doing something right in the cover up lol. So I'm going to share the products I use with links to where you can purchase them. You'll come to see that I am a Sephora junkie and mostly everything you can get there lol.


I'll start with what I use in the morning and at night. I mentioned before that I have trouble with acne but I also have an oily T-zone and these products help me combat both of those issues. I use the Clean & Clear Morning Burst scrub in the morning(obviously lol) and the Facial Cleanser at night. The scrub has this awesome lemon scent that helps to wake me up and it's also got caffeine in it. I typically only use the moisturizer in the morning as well. And as you can see, all these products are "oil-free". To take off my makeup I really like the Kirkland Towelettes. They get mostly everything off. But I never just rely on the wipes. I always try to make sure I wash my face with the cleanser to make sure I got everything off. And I'm sure you all know where you can purchase these items lol.

 

Now on to the actual makeup! After I've moisturized my face I wait about 5 minutes and then apply my primer. I love the e.l.f. Mineral Face Primer(this picture shows the hydrating primer but I use the mineral). It goes on sooo smooth. It feels like silk and makes my face feel even. And I've found that it helps to keep the oil at bay(I do still have to blot every now and then). I have horrible sleep habits and that's resulted in some under eye circles. It really sucks and I'm trying to work on that(as I write this post at midnight haha). So to conceal these circles I use Stila's perfecting concealer in "L". I'll also use it on other areas of my face if my acne scars are looking particularity dark.

For foundation I use Bare Minerals. I've been using it for about 3 years now and I love it! I use the Matte foundation in "Warm Deep". I started with the Original foundation but it made me break out. I quite like the matte because it gives my skin a more natural look. The word "matte" use to make me think dry but that's not the case here at all. I get a smooth even finish with full coverage. The only thing I don't like about Bare Minerals is that it only lasts about 8 hours. I get up for work at 6am so by 2 it's starting to wear off and I typically have at least 3 more hours at work. Although I've started using a setting spray to help combat it. More on that later.


For the eyes I keep it pretty simple. I like to use Sephora's liquid liner. I usually do a cat eye, its intensity based on where I'm going lol. I've actually gotten more comfortable doing them so it doesn't take too long. Honestly for me, I use whatever mascara I can find or is the cheapest lol. Currently I'm using Make Up For Ever Smokey Lash because I got it for free at Sephora. I use to be the Queen of false lashes but I haven't worn those since college. I have pretty thin eyebrows so I tend to fill them in. I've just started using the Anastasia Beverly Hills dipbrow pomade in "Dark Brown". I like the look it gives and being a pomade it slicks the brows down. It's also water proof and smudge- free. I went for dark brown instead of black to try to make them not seem so harsh or stick out too much.


And on to the lipstick! I don't typically wear eye shadow or blush so any pop of color on my face is coming from my lips. And that color is always red! I just feel like a red lip is so classy. And with all the different shades you can go from subtle to Va Va Voom! And just like my foundation, I've taken to loving matte lipsticks. Currently my favorite go to is the classic MAC "Ruby Woo". It's such a wonderful shade of red and I just feel so glamorous when I'm wearing it. Another favorite of mine that's a bit brighter than the Ruby Woo is the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in "Outlaw". This lipstick is a velveteen lip stain that applies like a liquid lipstick but dries matte. It's a very bold red which I love. And it dries super quick. This is the first item I've gotten from Kat Von D's makeup line and I'm very impressed. I'm eager to try more products. This last one I actually got as part of a free gift that Sephora gives you for your birthday. It's the NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in "Cruella". It goes on smooth and has a nice matte finish. The only thing with this one is you have to make sure you have a pencil sharpener big enough to sharpen it lol. It looks and feels like it made of a hard plastic but it sharpens like a regular pencil. So don't worry, you're not sharpening plastic.


Lastly I like to finish everything off with the Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray. Like the name says, this helps to set the makeup and it definitely helps in making the foundation last longer. Like I mentioned earlier, I still do have to blot occasionally, mostly in my T-zone and where my glasses sit on my cheeks. But it's nowhere near as much as it was before I started using the spray. I haven't used it during the summer yet so I'm interested to see how it holds up to hot/sticky/humid Georgia weather.

Well that's pretty much it. Like I said, I'm fairly new to this game so I'm still learning and playing around with new products. I know it's not rocket science lol. But I'm having fun. My wallet, not so much haha.

What are some of your favorite makeup products? Got any recommendations?   

MKD

No comments:

Post a Comment