Monday, May 12, 2014

Strip Strip Hooray!

So what better way to officially start off my new blog than to post about attending my first ever burlesque show! And not just any burlesque show...


I can not begin to tell you how amazing and what an honor it was to be able to see this show and to finally be able to see one of the biggest inspirations in my life, Dita Von Teese. The show was back in April and I still feel like it was only yesterday. Dita definitely knows how to leave an impression on a girl haha. It was held at the amazing Tabernacle, an old Baptist church turned into a concert venue, which is one of my favorite venues in Atlanta. The show was the last stop on the tour and according to Dita herself, it was the only time she has ever and will ever bring a production this size to Atlanta! So that made it even more special than it already was!

Dress: 80s does 50s from The Clothing Warehouse-Midtown
Shoes: Dillards
Purse: 1950s clutch from Agora in Athens, Ga
Watch: Gift from my Nana
Hair flower: From Michael's craft store

It was a sold out crowd and a very fashionable one at that! Everyone was dressed to the nines and it was so nice to see so many people in vintage or vintage inspired clothes. It's definitely not something I get to see often and whether these folks dressed like that everyday or were just doing it for the show, it still felt good to not stick out for once haha.

The show itself phenomenal!(There was no photography allowed inside so unfortunately I don't have any original pics for this post.) In addition to Dita there was the absolutely hilarious MC of the night, Murray Hill, and performers: Dirty Martini, Catherine D'Lish, Monsieur Romeo, Perle Noire, and Lada Nikolska of the Crazy Horse Paris. Click on each name for a link to their sites. They were all so talented and creative. You can definitely tell how much hard work they put into creating their performances. While essentially they were all burlesque performers, they were each so distinctly unique in their styles. It was so great to see such diversity in gender, race, body size, etc. It was especially awesome to see Perle Noire, one of the leading Black burlesque performers in the world, do her famous Josephine Baker tribute routine.

Words can not describe how amazing Dita was. Every time she graced the stage I got goose bumps. I'm getting them now just remembering haha. As beautiful as she is in photos, she's 100x more beautiful in person. She is absolutely flawless. She opened with her famous "Swarovski Martini Glass" act set to her rendition of Mae West's, "A Guy What Takes His Time". It was breathtakingly beautiful. We were also treated to some of her most famous acts: "Birds of Paradise", 'Rhinestone Cowgirl", and her "Opium Den" which was the grand finale.

All in all it was an unforgettable experience, one of the best nights of my life! I hope that this is not the last time I get to see Dita, or any of these performers, again. Maybe one day I'll even get to meet the Queen herself!

Have any of you guys seen Dita before? What was your experience like? Better yet, have any of y'all met her?? Let me know in the comments! :)

MKD

3 comments:

  1. I have not seen her but I wanted to really badly, she was stopping by Chicago during that tour but I just couldn't afford the tickets at the time. But hopefully someday I'll get to make one of her shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see her one day too! It was really an incredible experience. But if she keeps to her word it looks like I'll have to travel somewhere else to see her again since she's not bringing the show back to Atlanta haha. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that sounds like a superb experience! I'd love to see Dita one day, she is so incredibly glamorous all the time. ♡
    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete