Monday, June 23, 2014

Music Monday: Emeli Sandé



Today's Music Monday artist is another songstress hailing from the UK, the wonderful Emeli Sandé. She's a soul and R&B singer songwriter. You might have heard of Emeli, if not her music then at least her name. She's wildly popular in the UK with her album spending 7 weeks at number 1 and it was the best selling album of 2012 in the UK. The album also ousted The Beatles, Please Please Me album as the chart record holder for spending the most consecutive weeks in the top 10(66 weeks!). Her first US single Next to Me also became pretty popular here in the States. She also performed at the Opening and Closing ceremonies of the 2012 London Olympics. Needless to say, 2012 was her year! And if there are any PBS watchers reading this, she also performed on Austin City Limits last year!


It was also earlier in that year that I first heard Emeli. It was actually my younger sister that introduced me to her. She told me she was listening to this new singer from England that she just knew I would love. And she was right lol. I went out and bought her debut album, Our Version of Events and fell in love with her voice but especially her writing style. She's definitely one of those artists whose songs I can relate to on a personal level. You can listen to the album here on Spotify.


So far for my Music Monday features I haven't had the opportunity to see any of the artists perform live, but that changes here! I saw Emeli perform last summer and it was absolutely amazing! She did a summer US tour and I got tickets for myself and my little sister Ashley for her 21st birthday. Since she was the one that introduced me to Emeli's music, it was the least I could do for her. As good as she is on her album, she's 1000x better live. It was a sold out show and everyone sang every word from start to finish. And to top it all off, after the show I got to meet her! When the show ended I walked up to the stage and asked one of the roadies if I could have her set list and he gave it to me! So I gave it to Ashley as another b-day gift lol. And when we left we walked around to the back of the venue and waited to see if she would come out and she did! So Ashley got her set list signed and we both got pictures with Emeli. She was such a sweetheart and stayed out and met with every fan that was waiting out there, even when it started to rain.

 
Ashley with Emeli and her signed set list. 

 
Me and Emeli! 

Here's the video for her single Next to Me, which was her first single released here in the States. 


And here's her video for the song Clown which was the last single released from the debut album. It's also one of my favorite songs from the album.


Her next album is scheduled to come out this November and I can't wait! And I'm hoping a full US tour will soon follow.

Happy Listening!

How do you like Emeli Sandé? 

MKD 

No comments:

Post a Comment