Wednesday, June 18, 2014

WCW: Rachel Khoo




My Woman Crush Wednesday for this week is the lovely Rachel Khoo. She's an English chef, cookbook author and broadcaster. I first came across Rachel on The Cooking Channel through her show The Little Paris Kitchen. I love to cook and bake so I watch a lot of cooking shows lol. So when I first saw Rachel's show I was hooked. The show is set in her little Paris apartment, and when I say little I mean little lol. But she makes it work. And it is so cute! Most of her recipes are traditional French recipes that she has taken and made her own/made easier for the home cook to make. And did I mention that she lives in an apartment in Paris?! lol

She has written two cookbooks in French but her third book is written in English and is titled the same as her show.


Something really cool she had going on for a while was that she turned her little apartment into a restaurant. It could only seat 2 people and was essentially in her living room/bedroom and she would cook right there in the kitchen in front of them. It became so popular that people were taking out reservations months in advance! Now that she has her tv shows that film in her apartment the home restaurant is no longer open but I bet it was really cool while it lasted!

As a budding chef/pastry chef I definitely draw a lot of inspiration from Rachel. She's young, seems down to earth, and is really good at what she does. And she makes cooking fun. Here are some videos of Rachel in action making Raspberry and Lemon Madeleines and a Quiche Lorraine. :)

 



Who's your Woman Crush Wednesday?     

MKD

4 comments:

  1. Ah I love your blog! She seems so cool! I love love love to bake. A dream of mine actually is to go to pastry school. It seems like maybe the dream is a far off since Ill be starting grad school in the fall for psychology, something completely unrelated. I wish I had realized a bit earlier that I wanted to do it because I had time off waiting for grad school from this past December to this August. That is literally the cutest thing Ive heard holding a restaurant in her house, I love when people follow their dreams like that. Also I totally get why you love that she lives in an apartment in Paris, talk about the dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she so cool?? I want to go to pastry school too! I actually applied and was admitted to Johnson & Wales for their Baking and Pastry Arts program last year but it was just too expensive to go at the time :( That's the only drawback and reason why I haven't gone to culinary school yet. But I'm definitely going to eventually! And omg yes, living in an apartment in Paris is a dream! :)

      Delete
  2. That's so cool that she had a cozy little restaurant business going on! I'm sure the cooking show is more lucrative, but there is something so romantic and quaint about the idea of an exclusive little niche in someone's home.

    Brittney

    Another Beautiful Thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I thought the same thing! And I believe it was from having the restaurant that gave her the opportunity to do the cookbooks and the show. And now I'm sure the people that actually went to her restaurant can look at the show and say, hey I ate in that living room! Haha :)

      Delete