Monday, June 16, 2014

Music Monday: Paloma Faith


Today's artist is not only a phenomenal singer, she's also one of my biggest style influences as well as an overall awesome person! Paloma Faith is a singer-songwriter from England. Influenced by the likes of Billie Holiday and Etta James, her music is a good mix of soul, jazz, RnB, and pop. She studied contemporary dance and theater directing in school and it definitely comes through in her music, videos and live performances.


I first discovered Paloma about 5 years ago through I think NME magazine. That was around the time when her single, Stone Cold Sober first debuted and from that moment on I was hooked! Her first album was, Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful? Look at that album artwork! I'm definitely drawn to creativity and boy has she got it! In 2012 she released her next album, Fall to Grace and this year she released A Perfect Contradiction. Each of her albums has a different sound/feel to it and shows what versatility Paloma has vocally and lyrically.  

 
 

And as far as her style, well I think I'm going to write a different post just about that because I could go on for ages(and it would be a hundred pictures haha)! I want to jump right into some videos because you've just got to watch her! You can listen to her first 2 albums here on Spotify.

This is the video for her first single, Stone Cold Sober. A great intro to what Paloma is all about I think lol.

 

This next one is for her single Smoke & Mirrors. What's funny about this video is that she actually worked as a magicians assistant while she was in school. 

 
(I want every single outfit in this video) 

Another fun video with great outfits(really, I want her entire wardrobe!). I love the contrast of the colors in the video. This one's called Upside Down. 



Paloma is another artist that I haven't had the pleasure of seeing live. To my knowledge she's never done a full US tour but I sure hope that changes soon! If you've liked what you've seen/heard, definitely go YouTube more of her videos. I didn't want to make this post too long, but she has tons of other great ones. These are just some from her first album! They get even better! 

Happy Listening!

How do you like Paloma Faith?  

MKD

8 comments:

  1. i love her aesthetic! i've never listened to her music before, but now i will definitely check it out. thanks for the recommendation! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I love her aesthetic as well! I think it just fits her voice perfectly! I hope you like the music. :)

      Delete
  2. I love her deep sound! My favorite was definitely Upside Down! Im gonna look into her album, Im always looking for great girl singers. I feel like thats one avenue of music I don't explore enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! And Upside Down is such a fun video! I just love her creativity and how well she incorporates it all. And I'm always on the hunt for new female singers lol. :)

      Delete
  3. I adored Paloma when she debuted with Stone Cold Sober, but I'm not up with the music scene so have missed her subsequent albums. Upside Down is too cute though! What a fun song. Just confirms my love for her. ; ) ♡

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have time you should definitely check out her newer albums. They're different from the first but I think in a good way. I just wish I could finally see her live lol. I know she puts on a great show! :)

      Delete
  4. Nice! Thank you for introducing me (: I'm looking forward to more of your posts!!!

    -xx- Alynne
    designedtoloveblog.com (ps: check out my giveaway!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I hope you enjoy her music! And I'll definitely check out your blog! :)

      Delete