Monday, December 15, 2014

Mid Century Monday: Telephone Table

You guys! It's been nearly 4 months since my last post. Geeze louise. And it was a pretty sad post at that. I let work consume my life and it was no fun. Things have calmed down a little bit(but not much since the holiday season is our busiest at the museum). But I'm back now and better than ever! Well, that might be a slight exaggeration. But I'm back and I've missed blogging and reading other people's blogs. So if there are any mutual followers reading this, don't be surprised if you get tons of comments on your current & old blog posts. I've got a lot of catching up to do!

Anyway, here's a new feature for the blog. Not to be confused with Man Crush Monday, this is a different kind of MCM...it's Mid Century Monday! I love pretty much anything aesthetically mid century. So I'm going to feature some of my favorite finds, starting with the Telephone Table!

(This one is holding a Christmas tree, but you get the picture)

Now if you've never heard of a telephone table, well it's exactly what it sounds like. A table on which a telephone sat and it typically has a seat attached to it. They usually sat in the hallway since most families had only one phone for the household and it was the most convenient spot. It was also known as a "Gossip Bench" which I'm sure you can tell why lol. Here are a few examples that I like of the telephone table.





Now these two look a bit more traditional and include a drawer which could hold a pad and pen for taking messages, or a phone book.  



I would love to have either example in my home. I actually don't even like talking on the phone that much and I don't have a land line but I think it would kind of be worth having one if I could also score a working vintage phone. I'd have to see if I remember how to convey my emotions without the use of Emojis haha.

So, what do you guys think? Could you see yourself chatting away at a telephone table? 

-MKD

2 comments:

  1. Yay, you're back! I missed all your musical recommendations.
    I actually love the look of this. While I don't have a home phone, this would be a great place to sit and read with a cup of tea, or maybe watch a show on your laptop. And really, they're just cool looking. I really like the very "atomic age" looking ones in the middle, they're great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to be back! I've been in a bit of a musical rut, mostly listening to the same artists lol. But hopefully I'll find some new ones! And yes, I think the atomic age looking ones are my favorites too. :)

      Delete